You can unknowingly sabotage your home financing goals by making some obvious and not-so-obvious moves with your finances. Check out the list below to see if you know the top 10 things NOT to do when you are in the process of buying a home or refinancing.
- Transfer money between accounts, unless receiving complete documentation from your bank, itemizing all transfers.
- Make unnecessary checking or savings account transactions, such as withdrawals or deposits
- Leave an existing job - changing jobs may mean you don't have an appropriate work history, especially if you change fields of employment as well.
- Allow your bank accounts to go into a negative balance, even if you have overdraft protection
- Apply for credit in any form, including credit for major purchases (such as a car or furniture), or apply for credit to consolidate or change existing credit
- Co-sign on any debt with a family member or anyone else. Even if you are not making the payments, it will affect your debt to income ratio.
- Ask a tenant to move out, or give your landlord notice that you are moving out
- Delay paying all debts on time
- Pay a bill in collections. If about to pay a bill in collections from a collection agency, try to pay it at closing
- Have a friend or family member pay for anything related to the purchase of the home (appraisal, earnest money, down payment, etc.), since gifts are only allowed under certain guidelines.
- Don't lie on your loan application. Even though that sounds obvious, if you neglect to mention a debt or liability or over report your income, it's considered fraud.
For information on hard money loans in Las Vegas, call us at 702-985-7654.
Team Leader, The Tonnesen Team
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices, Nevada
3185 St Rose Pkwy #100 Henderson, NV 89052
With over 30 years of experience helping families call Las Vegas "home!"
Related Blog Posts
While you’re sweltering in the heat, keep in mind that whether you’re buying or selling a home in Las Vegas, a swimming pool is more than a way to cool down – it’s also a big factor in home values. 2016 is set to be a record-breaking year when it comes to weather. According to...
The mission statement of the new Smith Center for the Performing Arts in Las Vegas reads: “To build and establish a high quality performing arts center that is embraced by the community and recognized as a vital force by supporting artistic excellence, education and inspiration for all.” Well, mission accomplished!...
Join us on Saturday and Sunday for a Las Vegas open house. 6319 Mustang Spring Avenue Saturday 9/14 - 12pm to 3pm Sunday 9/14 - 1pm to 4pm Stunning & immaculate American West, Alexander model featuring 4 bedrooms 3 baths, 1 loft & 1 den with 3 car garage! This gorgeous home features a great entryway with...
There are few things in life more important than protecting your home. The following matters are examples of why you need a title insurance policy. Remember that the best title examination or search cannot protect your equity and home from matters not appearing in the public records. However, a tit...
For first-time home buyers, the challenge of coming up with a 20% mortgage down payment is often difficult enough to keep them out of the market. But the fact is, the 20% down payment is all but dead — and has been for quite some time, especially for first-time buyers. Most buyers make down payments lower than 2...