Las Vegas Relocation Checklist
Download our 2019 Buyers Guide
DOWNLOAD OUR 2019 Relocation GUIDE
One Month Prior to Moving
- Fill out a change of address order form for the post office.
- Fill out a change of address forms for utilities, banks, stock brokers, credit card companies, car loan companies, insurance companies, doctors, churches, IRS, mortgage companies, and friends and relatives.
- Make arrangements with a moving company. Have them give you a written estimate and check their references with the Better Business bureau.
- Make travel arrangements with airlines, buses, car rental agencies, and hotels.
- Transfer memberships in churches, clubs, and civic organizations.
- Obtain medical and dental records, x-rays and prescription histories. Ask your doctor and dentist for referrals and transfer prescriptions.
- Set up a checking account in your new city.
- Take inventory of your belongings before they're packed, in the event you need to file an insurance claim later. If possible, take pictures or video tape the belongings in your home. Record serial numbers of electronic equipment.
- Start discarding items you will not be taking. Arrange for a garage sale or to have items picked up by charity groups.
- Arrange for copies of your children’s school transcripts.
- Make arrangements for transporting pets.
- Start using up food items, so that there is less left to pack and possibly spoil.
Two Months Prior to Moving
- Switch utility services to a new address. Inform electric, disposal, water, newspaper, magazine subscription, telephone and cable companies of your move.
- If you have special medical needs make sure you contact the referrals in your destination city to set up initial consultations upon your arrival.
- Call your Realtor in your destination city and make arrangements to collect keys upon your arrival.
- Close bank accounts and have your funds wired to your new bank. Before closing, be sure there are no outstanding checks or automatic payments that haven't been processed.
- Collect valuables from a safe-deposit box. Make copies of any important documents before mailing or hand carry them to your new address.
- Check with your insurance agent to ensure you'll be covered through your homeowner's or renter's policy during the move.
- Have your beautician write out a list of the product she uses on you r hair and any special cutting instructions.
- Place deodorizer inside refrigerators to control odors.
- Give a close friend or relative your travel route and schedule so you may be reached if needed. Don’t forget your Realtor needs to know where you are too.
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves, attic and garage to be sure they are empty.
- Carry important documents, currency, and jewelry yourself, or use registered mail.
- Carry travelers checks for quick, available funds.
- Make sure all water faucets have been firmly closed.
- Make sure to have emergency numbers to reach the moving truck handy.
- Confirm with movers address for delivery and time and date of expected arrival.
- Don’t forget the kids or pets!
At Your New Home
- Inventory all things delivered by the moving truck and make sure what you get matches what you sent.
- Renew your driver's license, auto registration, and tags.
- Have all locks changed on your new dwelling?
- Shop around for new insurance policies for car, health, and home.
- Revise your will and other legal papers to reflect new property acquired and avoid lengthy probate proceedings.
- Locate the hospitals, police stations, veterinarian and fire stations near your home and post numbers in a handy place for emergency reference.
- Unpack and enjoy your new neighborhood!!!
Remember — the busiest moving season is summer, and most people typically move on the first and last days of the month.
A couple of Green Real Estate Moving Tips
Browse Relocation Guides
Keep track of your moving expenses! Some may be tax deductible!
^ Back to Las Vegas Relocation Checklist